Monday, September 7, 2009

Welcome

It’s an exciting time to be writing about politics and the economy. It seems that people are far more people are engaged in the political process then they were a few short years ago. And not only are more people engaged it seems like people are thinking more for themselves. While I still hear some people simply regurgitate what they here on MSNBC or Fox I am hearing these new ideas from people who have become disillusioned with the political party they use to associate with. That in and of itself is the first step in people forming their own ideas, which is critical for the future of our country.
My own political views have always fallen between the major parties which is why I typically describe myself as a libertarian. For me it takes the best parts of the Democrat and Republican platforms and combines them into a coherent political Ideology. It has always struck me as strange that Democrats believe is social freedoms like the right to choose and gay rights but believe that choice less healthcare in the form of a government option is the way to proceed. Republicans on the other hand believe in the power of markets yet fail to acknowledge certain individual rights because they are outside a constructed moral boundary i.e. gay rights.
While my ideology is important to me I try to remain practical about the political process. I find that the best part of this country is that we make choices and decisions together and as long as people get the legislation they want; I have some faith that things will work out. I get most worried when legislators simply pass what they want without regard for the nation as a whole. I believe that we have gotten in trouble recently because legislatures are more concerned about pleasing the fringe of their parties to gain political donations then doing the right thing for the country. While our political system does not count on the good will of our legislators it couldn’t hurt to have more empathic legislators.
Finally, If you have an idea or want to make a comment please do. We are really excited about this project and look forward to growing and learning with the help of those who follow us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think, for the more humor inclined of the bloggers could take one issue a week, current talking point, etc., and present it in the "Mac vs. PC" style. The goal is to present the "I'm a Dem, and I'm a G.O.P." issue with comedy, conciseness, and approachability for the person working on becoming informed voters. Look forward to following ya'll and good luck with the future plans. (this blog beats dental school lectures for the most part)